Nothing hits the spot on a cool, cloudy day like a bowl of beans and bacon. I love using my Instant Pot for recipes like this, because it’s minimal effort with an abundance of flavor. I don’t have to worry about soaking the beans overnight either! One batch of this will make enough leftovers to last for
up to a week a few days a couple days!
instant pot smoky pinto beans with bacon
- Instant Pot
- Cutting Board
- 5 slices Thick Cut Bacon cut into 1- inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp Roasted Chicken Better than Bouillon
- 3 cups dried pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- Set Instant Pot to "Saute" setting and render fat from the bacon. After about 5-7 minutes, the bacon should be browned and crispy. Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside on some paper towel.
- Add frozen onion and green pepper to the Instant Pot and let saute in the bacon fat until softened. About 4-5 minutes. Once the vegetables are softened, add the minced garlic and stir until aromatic. This will only take about 30-60 seconds.
- Add the tomato sauce, smoked paprika, salt, sugar, crushed red pepper flakes, and Better than Bouillon. Stir.
- Add the dried pinto beans and stir into the tomato sauce mixture. Add 6 cups of water and bay leaf.
- Cover the Instant Pot and put on "Manual" setting for 60 minutes. After the 60 minutes, let the instant pot come to pressure naturally (about 20-25 minutes). Stir and season to taste. Serve over rice or with skillet cornbread.
Cookbookies is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.