Southern Pimento Cheese Spread can be found in almost any supermarket throughout the southern states. According to Southern Living, pimento cheese first gained popularity after a recipe was printed in Good Housekeeping magazine in 1908. It’s a relatively budget friendly snack or lunchtime choice, and you can find it on almost any table at gatherings. When I lived in NYC for a few years, I had the hardest time finding this at the grocery stores. Therefore, I had to learn how to make it from scratch. Well, I live in the South again, but I still prefer to make this delicious cheese spread from scratch.
Southern Pimento Cheese Spread is incredibly easy to make and can be utilized many different ways. If you’re wanting more of a meal for the family, try my recipe for Grilled Pimento Cheese with Bacon Sandwich. However you choose to enjoy this classic southern dish, make sure you leave enough for your friends and family to enjoy as well! If you really want the true Southern Experience, serve it with an ice cold glass of sweet tea. As they say, it’s the house wine of the South! Eat more cheesy snacks and stay fabulous, y’all!
southern pimento cheese spread
- mixing bowl
- Food Processor
- hand mixer
- Measuring Spoons
- 4 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 oz diced pimentos *see notes
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp seasoned salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, blend all ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Allow cheese mixture to sit in the fridge at least one hour to allow flavors to combine.
- Serve on sandwich bread or with crackers.