Italian Sausage, Onion, and Pepper Pasta is an incredibly easy and delicious meal the entire family can enjoy. Most of these ingredients, I try to always have on hand in my kitchen. When Italian Sausage is on sale at the grocery store, I’ll usually buy 2-4 packages because they are easy to freeze and use later. Also, by using a frozen pepper and onion blend, you’ll save time and cut back on the overall expenses. In order to make the dish a little healther, I will usually use a whole grain pasta. You could also substitute regular Italian Sausage with an Italian-style turkey sausage to cut back on the fat content. If you wanted to make it even healthier, you could stir in some fresh baby spinach into the sausage mixture. However you choose to make the recipe, the flavor combination is delicious and you are sure to love it. I’m not ashamed to say that this is one of those dishes I will shamelessly eat directly out of the serving bowl when nobody is watching. I hope Italian Sausage, Onion, and Pepper Pasta becomes a regular weeknight stape for you as well. Stay fabulous!
italian sausage, onion, and pepper pasta
- Nonstick frying pan
- Pot for boiling water
- 18 oz Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 1 bag frozen onion and pepper blend
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb thin spaghetti
- Remove casings from the Italian Sausage. Add extra virgin olive oil to a nonstick pan and warm the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is warm enough, add the Italian Sausage to the pan. While the sausage is cooking, use a spoon to break the sausage up into one inch bite sized pieces. Brown the sausage for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sausage is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water has reached a rolling boil, add about 2-3 tbsp kosher salt to the water to season the pasta. Add the pasta to the pot and cook according to the package directions. Before draining the pasta, reserve ¼ cup of the starchy pasta water and set aside. Add drained pasta to a large mixing or serving bowl.
- After the sausage has been browning in the pan for 10 minutes, add the frozen vegetable blend and Italian Seasoning to the sausage. Continue to cook in the pan for an addition 5-7 minutes, until the vegetables have softened and the sausage has cooked completely through. Remove the heat and stir in the minced garlic and unsalted butter.
- After the butter has melted completely, spoon the sausage and pepper mixture on top of the cooked pasta in the mixing bowl. Toss all ingredients together, using the reserved pasta cooking water to help season and thicken the sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from Everyday Food: Great Flavor Fast.