What could possibly taste better than a casserole that combines salty ham, melted cheese, and potatoes? Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole is the perfect dish to bring to the family table. Instead of using frozen hashbrowns like the classic hashbrown casserole, this dish uses frozen Potatoes O’Brien instead. Potatoes O’Brien already have onion mixed in with them. Also, they have bell peppers blended in as well to add and extra level to those classic flavors. If you choose to make Potatoes O’Brien fresh, just fine dice some peeled red potatoes. Saute the potatoes with a combination of diced onion and diced green and red peppers. However, don’t cook them all the way through as they will actually cook in the casserole. And don’t forget…turn this typical sidedish into a full meal by adding lots of diced ham, too!
A Ham Casserole Meal or a Cheesy Potato Sidedish?
This recipe is very versatile as it can be eaten as a meal on its own or as a side dish. If you are making it as a side dish, try serving it alongside a light protein such as broiled chicken. Wash it all down with a glass of iced tea sweetened with some peach and vanilla simple syrup. However you choose to enjoy this recipe, just know that you will be leaving the table cheesy full! Eat cheesy food and stay fabulous!
cheesy ham and potato casserole
- 13×9″ casserole dish
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Rubber Spatula for stirring
- 28 oz bag Frozen Potatoes O’Brien defrosted
- 16 oz diced ham
- 10½ oz cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese shredded
- ⅛ cup extra virgin olive oil plus 3 tbsp
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 sleeve Ritz Crackers crushed
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the potatoes, diced ham, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cheese, ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper in a large mixing bowl. Sitr to combine thoroughly.
- Spread mixture evenly in a 13×9 casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Bake in the oven for 60 minutes or until the potatoes have cooked completely.
- While the casserole is baking in the oven, mix the crushed Ritz crackers and 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil together in a medium mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- After the casserole has baked for 60 minutes, remove the casserole dish. Spread the ritz cracker topping evenly over the top of the casserole. Bake for another 15 minutes until the topping starts to cook. Remove from oven. Eat fabulously.