With summer weather just around the corner, we’ve been looking for some healthier food options around the kitchen. After spending what feels like months social distancing, comfort foods have been a regular around our table for a while now. Quinoa with Sweet Basil and Cherry Tomatoes is a great dish that’s incredibly light and extremely healthy. Also, it’s substantial enough that it will leave you feeling full and satisfied. It’s not often that we find ourselves enjoying a vegan recipe as much as we did this one. I know this is definitely one of those recipes that we’re going to be turning to all throughout the summer. Now, if only the basil in our own garden could start growing just a little bit faster.
Quinoa? Quin-whaaa? Quin-wow!
Quinoa is a gluten-free food that is high in protein and fiber. Also, according to Healthline it’s also high in magnesium, B Vitamins, and numerous antioxidants. However, what we love the most is that it has great flavor AND it’s incredibly filling. Combine it with the proper ingredients and you’ll have yourself a hit at the family table. Quinoa with Sweet Basil and Cherry Tomatoes is just the flavor combination to brighten up this incredibly healthy cereal grain. Eat some vegan stuff and Stay Fabulous!
Have you seen us on Pinterest yet?! Follow our boards for fabulous recipes and more!
quinoa with sweet basil and cherry tomatoes
- small mixing bowl
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Medium Saucepan
- measuring cup
- chef's knife
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes
- ½ red onion finely diced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp italian seasoning
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 small bunch basil about 10 leaves
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half lengthwise and place in a medium mixing bowl with the diced red onion.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, black pepper, italian seasoning, and minced garlic. Whisk all the ingredients for approximately 1 minute until the mixture has emulsified. Pour over the cherry tomatoes and red onion and allow to marinate while cooking the quinoa.
- Add the 2 cups quinoa with 4 cups of water into a medium saucepan. Add 1 tsp salt to season. Bring the water to a full boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook to quinoa for 20-25 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Transfer the cooked quinoa to a large mixing bowl. Add the marinated tomatoes and onions PLUS the leftover marinade. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Chiffonade the fresh basil leaves by stacking the leaves on top of each other, roll the leaves tightly, and then slice across the leaves leaving thin ribbons of basil. Stir the basil into the quinoa. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve and enjoy!