Do you love tomatoes? Okay. So, do you love bacon? Great! How about we throw these two ingredients together into a delicious southern classic that’s great with any breakfast. Southern Tomato Bacon Gravy with Biscuits is one of our favorite recipes to turn to when we’re wanting something just a little bit different. It has that classic biscuits and gravy feel, but you get a great tangy tomato and smoky bacon flavor. We amped up the smoky bacon flavor by adding a teaspoon of smoked paprika. Southern Tomato Bacon Gravy just got a lot more spicier in our kitchen!
If you haven’t noticed by now, smoked paprika is one of our favorite spices to utilize in the kitchen. Regular paprika is made by dried and crushed peppers. However, with smoked paprika, the peppers are first smoked over oak fires and then dried and crushed. It’s widely available at most supermarkets now, but our favorite brands are usually the Spanish pimenton varieties. Although, don’t confused Hungarian and Spanish paprikas. They have two very different flavors. Hungarian paprika, although delicious in it’s own right, doesn’t have that smoked flavor. So, enjoy more crushed pepper spices and stay fabulous!
Have you seen us on Pinterest yet? Follow our boards to see more fabulous recipes!
southern tomato bacon gravy
- Large Frying Pan
- chef's knife
- Wooden Spoon
- ½ lb bacon
- 1 onion diced
- 15½ oz diced tomatoes undrained
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- buttermilk biscuits for serving
- In a large frying pan, saute the bacon for 5-8 minutes over medium high heat until cooked completely and the fat has rendered. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Pour all but 3 tbsp of the bacon drippings from the pan.
- Add the diced onion to the bacon drippings and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. One the onions have softened, add the diced tomatoes, tomato juice, salt, sugar, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Make a corn starch slurry by stirring 3 tbps of water with 3 tbsp of cornstarch. Blend together completely. Slowly add the slurry to the simmering tomato gravy and stir until the gravy starts to thicken. Add the cooked bacon back to the pan and turn off heat. Stir heavy cream into the gravy.
- Serve over warm buttermilk biscuits.