We love a great meatloaf! However, there are times when we want to lighten up our plates a little bit. Black beans and quinoa are a great alternative to the normal ingredients needed for meatloaf. Both black beans and quinoa are hearty, filling, and full of great nutrients. Also, since they are high in fiber and protein, it’s possible to eat smaller portions than you might with a regular meatloaf recipe. For all the conventional meatloaf lovers out there though, take comfort in knowing that the sauce is what really makes the difference. That sweet combination of ketchup, brown sugar, and dry mustard is what really gives it that great meatloaf flavor. So, if you’re looking for something a little healthier than the usual ground beef recipe, try Black Beans and Quinoa “Meatloaf” tonight!
A Meatloaf History 101
If you’ve ever dived deep into the history of meatloaf, you’re going to get a little overwhelmed. It doesn’t seem there is a solid origin for the combination of ground meat with binding starch ingredients. The combination of meats and starches can be found in multiple cultures around the world. In Germany, there is a dish called Scrapple that combines ground pork with cornmeal for example. However, the popularity of meatloaf in American culture rose during the Great Depression as a way to fully utilize smaller amounts of meat. Wherever you choose to believe this comforting dinner entree came from, know there’s a “meatloaf” for every dietary palette!
Enjoy this recipe? Check out our recipe for Sweet Basil and Cherry Tomatoes Quinoa as well!
black bean and quinoa “meatloaf”
- Large Mixing Bowl
- loaf pan
- hand mixer
- 4 15 oz cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal
- 3 tbsp hot water
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Combine black beans, cooked quinoa, and extra virgin olive oil in a large mixing bowl. With a hand mixer blend together. Use a fork or potato masher to mash some of the beans if necessary.
- After the black beans and quinoa have been mixed, add the chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Mix the spices into the bean mixture using a hand mixer.
- Mix 1 tbsp flax seed meal with 3 tbsp hot water Once combined add to the bean and quinoa mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add ¼ cup ketcup and chopped flat leaf parsley. Stir to combine.
- Place the bean, quinoa, and spice mixture into a loaf pan and press down to form into a "meatloaf" shape. Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes.
- While the loaf is cooking, in a small bowl combine ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard powder. Cover and set aside.
- After 45 minutes, carefully remove the loaf from the oven and spread the ketchup mixture evenly across the top. Place back in the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes until the top starts to caramelize. Remove from oven and slice into individual servings. Enjoy!