We love a light and spicy taco! Jamaican Jerk Tofu Tacos are a great alternative for your next Taco Tuesday! The key to this recipe is to make sure that you drain the tofu thoroughly. Tofu is actually bean curd that is stored in cool, fresh water. Therefore, it absorbs a lot of that water that it’s stored in. However, all you need to do is press the tofu down between two layers of paper towels. Once the tofu is throughly drained, it will be able to better absorb all those great flavors from the Jamaican Jerk seasoning! In fact, this Jamaican Jerk seasoning is so good that you might want to make a double batch of it to use for a later recipe. Jamaican Jerk Tofu Tacos with Mango Relish are definitely worth the wait. Eat more tacos and stay fabulous!
jamaican jerk tofu tacos with mango relish
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- ½ tbsp onion powder
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 white corn tortillas
- 1 mango halved and diced
- ½ red onion finely diced
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to season relish
- Drain the tofu and dice into ½ inch cubes. Place the tofu cubes on a paper towel lined plate and cover with more paper towel. Place a heavy skillet on top of the tofu to help squeeze out any additional fluid. Allow to drain for at least 30 minutes and replace the paper towel if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, dried thyme, sugar, allspice, crushed red pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cumin. Stir to combine.
- After the tofu has drained completely, transfer the tofu cubes to a medium mixing bowl. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of the jerk seasoning. Stir until all the tofu is coated with the seasoning mixture. Allow to rest for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
- After the tofu has marinated, cook in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until starting to sear on all sides, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat. If desired, add an additional 1 tsp of jerk seasoning if you would like a bolder flavor.
- To make the mango relish, combine the diced mango, red onion, and lime juice in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt if desired.
- Serve both the cooked tofu and mango relish on warm corn tortillas.
Cookbookies is a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program. It is a program designed to make commission based sales through affiliate advertising and product links.