Looking for a healthy meal option that’s still bursting with flavor? Look no further than our Southwestern Bulgur Bowl with Spicy Yogurt Chicken. Delicious whole grain bulgur serves as a healthy base for amazing southwest flavors. Red bulgur is cooked in a delicious vegetable broth. Then, it’s topped with sauteed vegetables and chicken breast tenders. The marinate for the chicken is a spicy and tangy blend of diced chipotle peppers blended with thick and creamy Greek yogurt. Although it does take some time for the chicken to marinate, it’s totally worth the wait for the amazing resulting flavors! Be patient fellow Cookbookies…it’s worth it! Southwestern Bulgur Bowl with Spicy Yogurt Chicken can also be a great plan ahead meal prep lunch for work days!
Bulgur…an Historical Whole Grain!
Bulgur wheat is made of wheat groats that have been parboiled. Then, they are dried and ground. The history of wheat goes all the way back to Fertile Crescent agriculture. Also, according to Encyclopedia Brittanica, bulgur was used both in Ancient Greece AND in the Ancient Middle East!
southwestern bulgur bowl with spicy yogurt chicken
- Baking Sheet
- Large Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- 1½ lbs chicken breast tenders
- 2 cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 canned chipotle pepper with 2 tbsp Adobo sauce
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Red Bulgur
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 orange pepper seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 1 red pepper seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 15 oz Bush's Black Beans Seasoned Recipe
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 avocado halved, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- Cut the chicken tenders into 1 inch pieces and set aside. Meanwhile, finely chop the chipotle chili and add it to a medium mixing bowl with the reserved 2 tbsp adobo sauce. Add the greek yogurt and stir until completely mixed. Add the diced chicken to the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- About 20-30 minutes before the chicken is done marinating, start cooking the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the red bulgur with the vegetable stock. Add 1 tsp kosher salt and 2 tsp chili powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer, covered for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the diced onion, yellow pepper, and red pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until softened. Stir in the minced garlic, 2 tsp chili powder, and 1 tsp kosher salt. Stir for 30-60 seconds until fragrant. Stir in the drained and rinsed black beans and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes until beans are heated through.
- To cook the chicken, remove from fridge and transfer the chicken to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Broil in the oven (about 6 inches from the top heat source) for 13-15 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time. After 15 minutes, check to make sure the chicken has cooked completely (165°F).
- To assemble the bowls, divide the cooked bulgur evenly among four dishes. Top with cooked vegetables, beans, and chicken. Serve with chopped avacado.
Cookbookies is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which is an affiliate program that provides a means for sites to earn advertising fees through product links to amazon.com.