This might be more of a country version of curry, but we thought it was absolutely delicious! However, Red Curry Chickpeas with Bacon is a spicy and flavorful meal that the whole family will enjoy. Also, it doesn’t hurt that it takes less than 30 minutes to make from start to finish! Instead of the normal coconut milk that is usually used in curry dishes, we decided to stir in some sour cream at the end of cooking. It ended up providing a thick and tangy sauce that we though helped balance out the flavors. Also, although it seems an odd ingredient, we HIGHLY suggest adding a little bit of sugar to balance out the sauce. Eat some country food and STAY FABULOUS!
Cookbookies is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
red curry chickpeas with bacon
- Large Nonstick Skillet
- Cutting Board
- chef's knife
- ½ lb thick sliced bacon
- ⅛ cup flour
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp red curry powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sugar
- 31 oz canned garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup sour cream
- cooked jasmine rice for serving
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until brown and turning crispy. Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- With the bacon grease left in the pan, make a roux by adding the flour. Stir and cook over medium heat until starting to turn a golden color. Then, add the tomato sauce, water, red curry powder, minced garlic, crushed red pepper, bay leaf, sugar, and canned garbanzo beans. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the bacon back to the pan and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and serve over rice.