Tomato season is officially here, and we couldn’t be more excited! There’s nothing quite as gratifying as picking a fresh tomato from your garden. When you’ve worked so hard to grow and harvest that little fruit, then it’s absolutely necessary to treat it with the utmost respect. What better way to highlight the fruits of your labor than by making and Fresh Summer Tomato Salad? Using a high quality olive oil for your salad dressing is essential for that bright and fresh taste. Tossing fresh tomatoes in an olive oil and vinegar marinade brings the perfect balance of acidity for a summer salad that will please everyone! For that extra punch of flavor, we added brined capers to our salad. However, they are completely optional. Eat more garden food and stay fabulous!
Cookbookies is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
fresh summer tomato salad
- Cutting Board
- chef's knife
- Large Mixing Bowl
- small mixing bowl
- 3 lb fresh tomatoes
- ½ red onion finely diced
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- Cut the stem end off the tomatoes and discard. Chop the tomatoes into one inch pieces and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the diced red onion, minced garlic, and drained capers to the tomatoes in the mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk vigorously until the dressing has emulsified (1-2 minutes).
- Pour the dressing over the tomato mixture and toss until completely combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the fridge for at least one hour before serving.
- When serving, garnish each salad with freshly chopped basil.