Fried Green Tomato season is one of our favorite seasons in the South! For a brief time we lived in a city where we couldn’t find ANY green tomatoes at the grocery stores. However, once me moved back down south, now we can find them at pretty much any grocery store or roadside vegetable stand. Fried green tomatoes are delicious on their own. However, we wanted to step up the game a little bit. Top these delicious fried treats with a fresh and sweet bruschetta and it’s a game changer. Then, drizzling the entire dish with a sweetened Balsamic vinegar reduction really makes the flavors shine. Fried Green Tomatoes with Bruschetta and Balsamic Glaze will definitely brighten up your summer dinner table! Eat more green tomatoes and stay fabulous!
Cookbookies is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
fried green tomatoes and bruschetta
- Cutting Board
- chef's knife
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Mixing Bowls
- 16 oz cherry tomatoes diced
- ¼ red onion fine diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅛ cup fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 large green tomatoes
- 1¼ cup corn meal
- 1 cup panko style bread crumbs
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
To Make the Bruschetta
- In a medium mixing bowl combine diced tomatoes, red onion, minced garlic, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt. Toss until all ingredients are combined. Cover and set aside until assembling the dish.
To Make the Balsamic Glaze
- In a medium nonstick pot, combine balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes until the mixture has reduced by half. The glaze should stick to the back of a spoon when it is done.
- Transfer the glaze to a separate container. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
To Make the Fried Green Tomatoes
- Slice the green tomatoes into ¼" slices. Arrange the slices on a couple paper towel lined plates. Sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes to help reduce some of the moisture. Pat tomatoes dry with another paper towel.
- In three separate shallow dishes, create a "dredging station". In the first dish, add ¼ cup cornmeal. In the second dish, beat one egg until blended. In the third dish, combine 1 cup cornmeal, 1 cup panko bread crumbs, and 1 tsp seasoned salt.
- Add vegetable shortening to a cast iron skillet (or nonstick skillet). Heat over medium heat until melted.
- With each tomato slice, first coat with corn meal, then dip into the beaten egg, then coat with the cornmeal/panko mixture. Add each breaded tomato slice to the heated vegetable shortening and fry for about 5 minutes on each side. Carefully flip each slice until they are golden brown in color on both sides.
- Transfer the fried green tomato slices to a paper towel lined plate to cool.
To Assemble the Dish
- Arrange or two fried green tomato slices on a plate. Top each tomato with the reserved bruschetta. Drizzle each dish with a small amount of the sweet balsamic glaze.
- Eat fabulously!