Fresh squeezed lemon juice is so invigorating! Once that aroma hits the air, you automatically just feel better. Well, we decided to utilize some fresh lemon juice to make a lemonade that has been spiked with some vodka and ginger ale. However, the drink seemed to be missing something. Enter some fresh thyme into the picture! Fresh thyme cut from the garden (or picked at the grocery store) blends beautifully into this delicious cocktail. Fresh Ginger Lemon & Thyme Cocktail is a great way to take in all those fresh flavors as Summer starts to wind down. If cocktails really aren’t your thing, this drink base is delicious even without the vodka! However, we wanted a little extra kick to our weekend!
Using fresh herbs to make simple syrup is something that we just love to do! We were a little unsure of thyme as a sweetener, but it is surprisingly delicious. We have also used herbs in our Lavender & Vanilla Vodka Cocktail AND Watermelon Basil Vodka Cocktail. Therefore, remember that those fresh garden herbs are for more than just cooking! We hope you enjoy Ginger Lemon & Thyme Cocktail just as much as we did! Drink more herby drinks and stay fabulous, y’all!
ginger lemon and thyme cocktail
- Serving Glass
- Stirring spoon
- Citrus Press
- Medium Saucepan
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- 2 oz Thyme Simple Syrup see below
- 2 oz vodka
- 4 oz ginger ale
- juice of 1/2 small lemon
Thyme Simple Syrup
- ½ oz fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
To Make the Thyme Simple Syrup
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, combine 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup of water. Cook over medium low until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add the fresh thyme (no need to remove the leaves from the stems), steep over medium low for 10 minutes.
- Strain the leaves out of the syrup with a fine mesh strainer. Keep covered in the refrigerator.
To Assemble the Ginger Lemon and Thyme Cocktail
- Add ice to a serving glass. With a lemon press or juicer, squeeze the juice of one small lemon over the ice. Add the vodka, simple syrup, and ginger ale. Stir to combine all the ingredients. Serve and drink fabulously!