We might be getting a little ahead of ourselves with fall flavors, but we can’t help it. This cooler weather is definitely getting to our heads. (Keep in mind cooler weather in East Tennessee is low 80’s with low humidity). However, who isn’t ready for pumpkins, and apples, and cinnamon? Instant Pot Pumpkin Curry with Chicken is an easy and delicious meal that can be made on a busy work night. This recipe requires very little preparation, and it’s table ready in about 30 minutes! Although you could probably make a pumpkin curry with fresh cut pumpkin, we decided to utilize our good friend…pumpkin purée. It speeds up the cooking time, adds flavor, and is also a great thickener for the curry. We opted to use chicken thighs for this recipe, because chicken thighs are flavorful and less expensive that chicken breasts. However, if you wanted to make this recipe vegetarian friendly, you could easily stir in some diced pieces of extra firm tofu at the end of the recipe. However you choose to enjoy Instant Pot Pumpkin Curry, make sure to save those leftovers for a homemade lunch tomorrow. Eat more gourds and stay fabulous!
Looking for more great recipes like Instant Pot Pumpkin Curry with Chicken? Check out some of the recipes below!
instant pot pumpkin curry with chicken
- Instant Pot
- Cutting Board
- chef’s knife
- Wooden Spoons
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 15 oz pumpkin purée NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 12 oz frozen peas thawed
- 16 oz frozen broccoli florets thawed
- cooked jasmine or basmati rice for serving
- Set the Instant Pot to “Saute” setting and add 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Add the diced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions start to soften. Turn off the Instant Pot by hitting “Cancel” and stir in the minced garlic. Stir for 30 seconds until the garlic becomes aromatic.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, ground ginger, kosher salt, cayenne pepper and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock, pumpkin puree, and bay leaf. Stir until all ingredients have combined. Add the chicken thighs. Cover the Instant Pot and press the “Manual” button making sure that the vent is placed in the sealed position. Set the timer to 8 minutes.
- After the timer has gone off on the Instant Pot, allow the steam to vent naturally for at least 10-15 minutes. Then, carefully release any leftover steam by opening the steam valve. Remove the lid and stir in the coconut milk, thawed broccoli, and thawed peas. Season to taste with any additional salt and pepper. Serve over rice.