Is there any greater flavor than the sweet and savory combination of bacon, apples, and onions all simmering together? Now that fall is here, this wonderful trifecta of flavor tastes great in almost any dish. However, having to decide where to utilize those flavors can be a little daunting. What better way to implement those flavors than with a sweet and savory egg roll? What we love most about egg rolls is that they can be used at any point in a dinner. They make great appetizers, side dishes, and even main dishes if they are hearty enough. Bacon, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Egg Rolls are definitely hearty enough to fill up any belly at the dinner table. Sweet and savory egg rolls are just the ticket to a delicious homemade treat for the newly cool nights at home. Eat more egg rolls and stay fabulous!
Looking for more great sweet and savory flavors? Check out our recipe for Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Soy Maple Tofu.
Looking for more fabulous recipes like Bacon, Apple, and Onion Egg Rolls? Swipe through some more of our recipes below!
bacon, apple, and caramelized onion egg rolls
- Large Nonstick Skillet
- Cutting Board
- chef's knife
- Baking Sheet
- Cooking Spray
- Aluminum Foil
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lb bacon chopped into 1" pieces
- 3-4 small gala apples peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 onion diced
- ¼ cup apple cider
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups cole slaw mix
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned all over. Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Add the diced onion and apples to the skillet and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes until softened. Return the cooked bacon to the skillet and add the cole slaw mix, apple cider, and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and cook uncovered for 10 minutes until the cole slaw mix has cooked and the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- To assemble the egg rolls, lay an egg roll wrapper on your cutting board and place approximately ¼ cup of the cabbage mixture in the center. Fold up the bottom corner, fold in the sides, and then roll the egg roll like a burrito.* Place the egg roll seam side down on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- After all egg rolls have been assembled, spray the tops of the egg rolls with additional cooking spray. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden in color. Eat fabulously!