The air keeps getting cooler around our neck of the woods. Therefore, we’re getting deeper into soup season in our house! In our opinion, one of the easiest and most flavorful soups that you can make is a hearty bowl butternut squash soup. In our recipe we decided to kick up the flavor with spices that you would normally find in a bowl of chili. However, the spice flavors transfer beautifully into the silky butternut flavors. Chili Spiced Butternut Squash Soup with pan fried croutons is definitely filling enough to serve as an entrée. However, smaller bowls of this soup can be served as a delicious appetizer as well. There’s one thing in this recipe that we really don’t suggest skipping. The pan fried croutons are easy to make, and they add fresh flavor and crunch texture to the soup! Also, it doesn’t hurt that they’re super easy to make as well! Eat more soups and stay fabulous!
Looking for more great soup dishes? Check out our recipes for Easy Spicy Coconut Curry Lentil Soup.
Looking for more recipes like Chili Spiced Butternut Squash Soup with Croutons? Swipe through some more of our options below!
chili spiced butternut squash soup with sage croutons
Butternut Squash Soup
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded, & diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup sour cream
Pan Fried Sage Croutons
- leftover crusty bread cut into 1" cubes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 fresh sage leaves chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
To Make the Soup
- In a large pot, add diced onion, butternut squash, vegetable stock, chili powder, sugar, cumin, black pepper, salt, coriander, nutmeg, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- After cooking, carefully remove the bay leaf from the pot. With an immersion blender*, blend all of the ingredients in the pot until smooth. Stir sour cream into the soup. Season to taste with additional salt as needed.
- Set soup aside until the croutons have been prepared.
To Make the Pan-Fried Sage Croutons
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the bread cubes, chopped sage, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 10 minutes until the bread starts to become toasted on the outside. Serve the croutons on top of the soup. Enjoy!