We’ve always been on the fence when it comes to cornbread. Growing up in the North, sweet cornbread was always the traditions. However, living in the South for almost 20 years has made my tastes in cornbread shift. Now we definitely appreciate the flavor of a savory and crunchy skillet cornbread direct from the oven. However, with this cornbread recipe, we don’t have to give up the sweet flavors completely. Skillet Bacon Cornbread with Brown Butter Honey Glaze is definitely a side dish to WoW a crowd! Brown butter blended with sweet honey makes a delicious and sweet glaze that will taste good on just about anything! However, it’s perfect for this bacon and green onion flavored skillet cornbread! One important step for skillet cornbread is to make sure that you heat up your cast iron skillet with the oven. You want that pan nice and hot when you pour the cornbread mixture in so that you get that crunchy bottom that is so delicious! Eat more cornbread and stay fabulous y’all!
Looking for more cornbread dishes? Check out our recipe for Cheesy Chorizo Cornbread Casserole!
Looking for more recipes like Skillet Bacon Cornbread with Brown Butter Honey Glaze? Swipe through some more fabulous recipes below!
skillet bacon cornbread with brown butter honey glaze
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Medium Nonstick Pan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Mixing Spoons
Skillet Bacon Cornbread
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 cup cooked bacon crumbled
- ¼ cup green onions sliced
Brown Butter Honey Glaze
- ½ cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp salt
To Make the Skillet Bacon Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a cast iron skillet with vegetable shortening in the oven while it is preheating.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together corn meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Add eggs and buttermilk, whisk to combine. Then, stir in cooked bacon and green onions. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- When the oven has preheated, carefully removed the cast iron skillet and melted vegetable shortening from the oven. Pour the cornbread mixture into the skillet and place back into the oven. Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown on top.
To Make the Brown Butter Honey Glaze
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter over medium heat. After the butter has melted completely, whisk continuously until the butter starts to turn a golden color and develops a nutty aroma (See Note Below).
- Add the honey to the brown butter and whisk until the honey has melted and the mixture has emulsified. Serve the brown butter honey glaze over slices of hot cornbread. Stay fabulous!